Tacchino

Tacchino

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

3-2-1: Race Report - Fountainhead Backyard Burn

Like I wrote in my last race report, I had a goal for the BYB series this spring. I managed to top the podium for my age group for the series the spring after my older child was born, 6 months after having him. That was a surprise when it happened, but I was very pleased with it and my goal was to do it again. (And squeeze a half-marathon in while I was at it.)

Work started in the winter with frigid trips to the track and better focus on what I was eating. I didn't get to the trails for practice runs since we live a little farther away than we used to, but I hoped that my trail experience from years past would be adequate.

And I am pleased to say that I met my goal.

I had to get a 2nd at Fountainhead to win the series and I did just that.

I looked around at the starting line and, for the first time (for some reason!), took note of the women around me. I knew 2 of them as the ones who have been finishing ahead of me on the overall podium all season. The rest all had red bibs, meaning they were running 10 miles instead of 5. So with the lay of the competitive landscape accounted for, off we went.

I was suffering from the start, not least of all from this annoying ankle injury and from some monstrously tight hamstrings (starting today I went in to have my chiropractor look at me - not sure why I waited so long), but I loosened up as we went on a little until the bulk of the discomfort was cardiovascular instead and then there is nothing that can be done. By about 2 miles in the women's positions were set with #1 way out in front, #2 ahead of me, just out of sight but pulling away a bit and then me. There was a 4th women in there too, but I am not sure where she came from and she ended up being DQed.I don't know why but I can only imagine it was cutting the course. Pretty bold to cut the course and come in 2nd overall.

The course has been described (possibly by me) as relentless, as in it is always climbing or descending. It is also fairly technical with some very tricky downhills, quite a few roots, and some rock crossings. I really like it, particularly as I have run there a lot, but I have to admit it hurt me yesterday. I tried to do some enjoying as I ran, but mostly I was just experiencing being at my limit. 

I have been thinking that although it was nice to know what the variables were and what I had to do for 1st, in some ways knowing those things were an impediment to enjoying the race. Instead of feeling the possibilities of the race, it was more like I was running scared, thinking about what I would lose if I didn't come in second. Of course, in any scheme of things, these are good "problems" to have so I can't take it too seriously, but I thought that was an interesting side effect of going into the race having looked up the math on that question.

But, in the end I ended up 3rd overall for the race, 2nd age group for the race, and 1st in age group for the series. Something to think about next winter when it is time to head to the track.

No comments:

Post a Comment