Tacchino

Tacchino

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Something New

A number of friends have embraced the Skratch Labs rice cakes for fuel. They are an Ignite sponsor and I have been hearing about these cakes a lot. Curious, and with some recipes printed off their website, I made some Friday night. My husband and I both had rides scheduled for the weekend that we would be bringing fuel for, so I gave it a shot and made some apple cinnamon flavored ones.

(I had my eye on the Blackberry Mint flavor, which sounds amazing, but I had everything on hand in the house to make these ones, so I went ahead with them first.)


Apple Cinnamon Rice Cakes
After The Taste Test

The whole deal with these cakes are that they are made from real food and aren't processed. There are 5 ingredients in this flavor: rice, apples, cinnamon, brown sugar, sea salt. And they tasted terrific. 

This is a half-batch from the recipe I had, but the recipe was so simple that it was easy to scale. I wrapped them up on Friday and had one before my run on Saturday and one on Sunday before my ride as well as a couple more on that Sunday ride. (And maybe one as a snack.) Dave took some too on his weekend ride and they were easily gone after all that. 

We both agreed that they went down really easily while riding but Dave said he was still hungry after he would eat one. I had one before my ride, one at :35, and was hungry at 1:15, about the time I had scheduled my second. I didn't want to have anything after that because of my scheduled brick run. Like I said, they tasted great and I didn't have any problems on the ride or the run, except fumbling with the wrapping - have to work on that. 

I like the convenience of the packaged foods and they work well as fuel for me, but I really like the idea of eating more "real" food whenever possible, so I will definitely be experimenting with more of the rice cake recipes. I just put in my order for the Feed Zone Cookbook, which should have more things to try, so hopefully we'll find some recipes that are more filling to sustain Dave on his rides (always longer than mine). 

Or else I could just cut them bigger. 

1 comment:

  1. I highly recommenced the Feed Zone Portables cook book. Lots of great stuff in there.

    ReplyDelete