Tacchino

Tacchino

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Ow!

I didn't exactly feel fresh heading out on Sunday morning for my ride, a scant 12 hours after finishing my 11 miles at dusk on Saturday (how do you all train for Ironman?!!), but I was getting the legs warmed up and they were starting to turn over faster and with less stiffness (I don't remember this kind of stiffness when I was in my 20s).

I was just getting going about 9 minutes in when something whacked against my helmet.

Oh, ok, some kind of bug.

About 10 seconds later I almost rode off the shoulder as the bug, clearly a bee, stung my left temple.

"Crap!" Or possibly something worse, I don't even remember, and I swerved toward the side of the road and tried to rip the helmet off my head.

How did that thing even steer inside the vent? Why? Stupid bee.

It has been almost 10 years since I got stung by a bee, so as I hyperventilated on the side of the road I thought about how people sometimes develop allergies over time and wondered if I should pull my phone out just in case. But that wasn't what was going on, I was just panic breathing from pain and surprise and managed to take it down a level in about a minute and went out and finished the ride without any problems (though my throbbing head didn't make me feel any fresher).

And now, 2 days later, it doesn't hurt anymore but it is kind of itchy up there. The unconsidered dangers of cycling.

No comments:

Post a Comment