Tacchino

Tacchino

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Race Report - Schooley

Sunday morning the family accompanied me out to Maryland for what may be my last cyclocross race of 2012. The morning started cold, but got warmer and warmer until, in stages, I found myself at the starting line (second row) in shorts, a short jersey, and long gloves.

The prologue started up a hill on pavement and I figured it might be a hard day when I was feeling in the red zone by the time we passed the officials' tent the first time, about a minute into the race. But I got out in front of a few women with that sprint and mostly was able to hang onto that position.

Later in the first lap, I passed one or two other women, more on better handling than fitness, I think. For much of the rest of that lap and into the second (3 total this time) I was in sight of 1 to 4 women in front of me and even briefly passed one of them before she passed me back. At some point they pulled away however, and I was feeling kind of down. My exact self-talk was possibly, "I really stink* at this."

* Or other not so positive word.

 Clearly mental toughness is a challenge.

But I pushed through the 3rd lap and even was trying to sprint the finish because I saw a biker up in front of me, but it turned out to be one of the girls from the Juniors wave that started right after us finishing her 2nd lap. It did give me the fulfilling feeling of having left it all out there, though. Particularly when Dave met me at the finish and felt the need to pull my gloves off for me, as I seemed to spent to do it myself.

In the end, I placed the best I have this season, 6th, (in an admittedly somewhat smaller field) and 30 seconds of the 5th place spot on the podium.

And I feel tempted to search out a 4th race now.

A good morning!

Concerns:

Um, the obvious: fitness & the ability to red line for the whole race. Or pace better. At about 12 minutes I looked at my watch and thought, ok - I guess this is how long I can go this hard for.

Warming up. I have not yet felt really warmed up at a race. I even got a lap of the course in this time by dragging the family out there 30 minutes earlier than usual, but it didn't do the trick. I see people riding trainers in the parking lot but I can't really see myself doing this. At this point. Maybe that is the secret, though.

Shifting again! It shouldn't take until the 3rd lap (4th total, if you count my warm up) for me to react to the spots where the course requires me to downshift for a steep unhill before it is right in front of me. Honestly! 

No comments:

Post a Comment